Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Well, here I am

The apartment is empty, and I don't leave the City until tomorrow night. All we have left to eat is soup and frozen meat. And peanut butter. So here I am with my Campbell's classic waiting to go home where it's 80 degrees outside. I don't feel too lonely, though. No matter how alone you think you are in this city, there will always be an unspoken connection between one stranded person and another because everyone is going through the same thing. New York is full of empathy, even if people don't show it. Besides, every turn you take on this massive grid is teeming with life just happening. It's hard to feel completely desolate when you're surrounded by energy being exchanged in every direction.

On a less general note, I am ready to go home... I've been packed since yesterday afternoon. Not going home for Thanksgiving really did a number on me, especially because I wasn't expecting myself to care as much as I did. I miss Texas. I miss having a Target down the street, being able to sit on a porch, eating Southern food and I miss having pets. I know once I get there I'll miss being on my own, feeling surrounded by friends, being busy, seeing the buildings, and the exploring. But for now, I miss the Texas stuff. The good stuff.

For now, that's all I have to say.
A

No comments:

Post a Comment